Looking for a used car that suits your style as well as your pocket? Shopping for a second-hand car can be tricky and there are a lot of scams out there. So, here’s a quick guide to getting the best car for the best price.
1. Take a good look:
- Check it out in clear weather during the day, so you don’t miss any details.
- When you test-drive it, go through all the gears, drive it on all types of roads and listen out for strange noises.
- Get an independent professional to inspect every inch of the car.
- Find out about all accidents, fender benders and faulty parts that have had to be replaced.
- And make sure you get a full service history booklet and owner’s manual.
2. Don’t overspend:
- Know your budget and stick to it.
- Go over all the charges to make sure you’re not paying for extras you didn’t agree on or over-priced admin costs.
- Negotiate. It’s that simple. They name a price, you name a price and then you meet somewhere in the middle.
- Don’t forget to factor in the cost of insuring the vehicle.
3. Signs of scamming (private sellers):
- The same contact details in many ads for different cars – on occasion car dealers pretend to be private sellers to avoid legal obligations.
- Inconsistencies – walk away if the story constantly changes.
- If the deal is too good to be true – no legitimate seller wants to sell a car for less than it’s worth.
Use these tips to get the perfect car for you… because what you drive says a lot about you!
Vehicle Cover like it should be
Your car is like a best friend – and with three types of cover and unique benefits, you can choose how you look after it.
Comprehensive Cover protects you in the case of accident or theft. Using our approved Towline means no paying for storing or towing. And you’re insured for the accidental death or injury of a third-party (or damage to their property). An Off-Road Comprehensive policy is also available for the nature lover and their wheels that carry them here and there on the rougher roads.
- Third Party Fire and Theft – ideal for cars that are paid off and with low value. You’re sorted for storing and towing (when using our approved Towline), theft, damage to a third party’s property and accidental death or injury of a third party. You’re also insured for damage to your car as a result of fire, lightning and explosions.
- Third Party Only – perfect for a car that’s paid off. You’re insured for the accidental damage to third party property or in the event of death or injury to a third party.
Great vehicle cover benefits:
- No motor excess if the damage to your car is over R5 000 (on Comprehensive and Third Party, Fire and Theft policies).
- And if you remain claims-free, your premiums will stay fixed for the first 24 months.
So, keep your car covered with insurance like it should be – just call 0860 10 49 15!